As many of us saw from this week’s Sur in English, from January 1st, millions of households across Spain will see an increase in their electricity bills. The new increase is due to a 6.9% hike in the price of power bought by suppliers. Consumers will feel the effects with a 3% rise in energy costs.
This increase of 3% will be charged to those on the domestic tariff known as TUR, with contracted power below 10 kilowatts. However the Ministry of Industry also plan to issue a surcharge of up to 8% to those contracted to 3 kilowatts of power or more, if they exceed average consumption by over 10%. According to calculations made by OCU consumers organisation, this could mean an additional charge of around 3% onto the average household electricity bill, meaning the total increase could reach around 6% on every bill.
There are number of things you can do to reduce your electric consumption and save money on bills such as;
- Use energy efficient light bulbs and solar lights for the garden
- Use a halogen cooker instead of fan oven
- Turn all appliances off at mains when not in use, rather than leave on standby
- Use a fire if you have one rather than radiators if possible
- Only use the tumble dryer where necessary, use a clothes horse for drying instead
- Use an energy monitor to show you how different appliances affect your consumption and to show where you could make savings
- Fill up the dishwasher before using so you do fewer washes
- Load your washing machine to the full so you do fewer washes
Some of these tips can also work well if you use your property for holiday rentals and want to keep the electric consumption to a minimum. Some households are even investing in solar energy devices to minimise power costs and reduce energy consumption. This can save hundreds on electricity bills each year and has a positive effect on the environment, so is well worth looking into as costs continue to rise.
As part of our property management services on the Costa del Sol we can deal with all the utility companies and even receive any correspondence from them on your behalf so you know that even if you are away from your Spanish property, everything is being dealt with as it should be. Contact us to find out more about this service.