How to holiday on a budget on the Costa del Sol
We love holidays, but we know that they can be expensive and difficult to afford when you’re on a budget. However, the good news is that the cost of living here on the Costa del Sol is significantly cheaper than in the UK and most parts of Europe and there are loads of great things to do which are completely free! If you look out for deals and follow a few simple tips, you can have an amazing holiday on the Costa del Sol on a budget.
Here are some of our top tips
- Travel as a group and book a villa
If you’re travelling with a large group, you can get an incredible deal per person per night and have a stunning villa too. While they look expensive, splitting them between three families for example makes them much more affordable than staying in a hotel. Plus, because you have the space to relax, cook and enjoy the facilities, you spend a lot less money on eating out and it is much more relaxing too. Check out our villas with pools
- Eat, drink and be merry like the Spanish do
The Spanish locals are price sensitive and so cafes, bars and restaurants catering to locals are significantly cheaper than tourist places and offer a more authentic experience. They don’t tend to be the most beautiful places – expect plastic chairs and strip lighting, but the atmosphere and food tend to be great and you can still get a small beer or a coffee for 1€, or a three course meal for 10€ in some places, so follow the Spanish to the busiest places and you’ll definitely get a bargain.
- Pack a picnic
When you’re staying in a holiday rental you can save a fortune by stocking up at the supermarket, making up a delicious picnic, or some snacks and drinks and taking it with you. We love a picnic on the beach for lunch, or a few beers as the sun goes down and it’s cheap as chips if you take it with you. Be prepared on a day out with a reusable water bottle and snacks too so you avoid having to spend money when you’re thirsty and hot. There are water fountains everywhere so you can keep topping up and you’re minimising plastic use too!
- Enjoy the free activities
Over the summer there are hundreds of free activities going on along the Costa del Sol, from concerts to ferias, magic shows, talks, dance classes and activities for the kids. Ask at the tourist office, or check out one of the local area guides online, then head along and enjoy the fun totally free! For families with kids, the many playgrounds are a godsend and of course a stroll by the sea and a trip to the beach is perfect family fun. Many holiday rentals even have toys and games to take out with you, or enjoy at your apartment or villa, so you don’t need to buy things to keep them entertained.
- Book online and look out for money saving coupons or special days
- If you are going to one of the summer ferias and want to take the kids on the rides look out for the “Día del Niño” every fair has one and rides are often 1€, or half price, which really saves you a lot.
- Pick up any coupons you see around for the attractions like water parks and theme parks, but then check online before you buy, as it’s often a lot cheaper booking online ahead of time and you can also skip the queues.
- Look for later entry tickets to waterparks, which can result in a massive discount but still give you quite enough time to enjoy the experience
- Look out for packs of offers for different activities such as the ones from Selwo which offers a combined price for a number of different activities, but then check online to ensure that it adds up compared to buying them individually online
There are lots of other fantastic money saving tips from Money Saving Expert on their website which could save you a fortune.
We have recently dropped the price on this great one bedroom penthouse in La Cala by 20%. It is a great centrally located property, just 400 meters from the beach and a five-minute walk into town. It sleeps four people and costs from just 66€ per day, so is an excellent base for a great value holiday on the Costa del Sol. Check out more budget holiday homes on our website, or contact us for more information on great value holiday rentals.